Wednesday, October 7, 2009

American curry anyone?

Now this hopefully will become a habit for me. Updating my blog when sprog is asleep. These days he's crashing at 1 bloody A bloody M. Grrrr....

I am one of what I think is a handful of foreigners in this town. So in order to avoid depression, I made a concerted effort to introduce myself to someone alike should I encounter them. And, in fact on my 2nd night here, with a 4 month baby in tow, I babycarred (what Japanese call strollers) into KC, the Colombian woman and their sproglets of which are female. There's 2 years between them and Joe. They are 2.5 and 4.
Anyway KC and I exchanged numbers and have bonded over the fact that we have the affinity of being female Westerners married to Asian guys with a half cast babies. She told she got pretty depressed after popping out Ayane. Being away from home with zero mates and a domineering mil drove her to tell her hub to tell mil to shape up or she would ship out back to Arkansas or Texas or where ever curry isn't sold. That's right, you can't get curry in America. She told me that the other day after running into her in the supermarket. I was kind of stunned after hearing that but being a non Americian, I can hardly argue with her. She said it with such vehemence that I accepted it as you would if it were my grandmother struck with dementia. Anyway, after sharing the story with Hihi, he laughed and said NY supermarkets would definitely have it. However, I did share with her what my mumbo told me. Curry was introduced to NZ when she was a little girl. Her mum would make it and it was revolting. I grew up with curried sausages.

That's all I can write now for it's 1.37 A bloody M

1 comment:

  1. No curry in America? Wow. I guess maybe she meant no curry she likes?
    Curried sausages! Yum, they're an old family recipe...haven't had them for ages though.

    It's good you found a fellow friend in the same situation. :)

    ReplyDelete